Inclement Weather FAQ
We recognize that the decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a great impact on our families. We also understand that our students are better served academically by being in school. As always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
Where can I find information about Dover Area School District school closings or delays?
School closures and delays due to severe weather, power outages, and other emergency situations are always a possibility, and you may find the latest information by checking these sources:
- District Website - Check http://www.doversd.org/
- Facebook and Twitter - Follow updates on Facebook
- Media - Watch the local television stations or visit their websites.
If there is no mention on the District website or in the media of delays or closures, schools are running on time.
How does Dover Area School District decide whether to close or delay the opening of schools for inclement weather?
- As early as 4:00 A.M. on a school day, school transportation personnel patrol school district roads, bus stops, and known problem areas, then report on road conditions. In addition, reports are collected and considered from police, local municipalities, and other local school districts.
- We receive updates from weather information sources about current weather conditions and forecasted conditions, including temperature and wind chill.
- Every effort is made to announce a school closure or two-hour delay no later than 6:00 A.M in order for transportation and personnel to be in place.
- If conditions worsen after the decision is made for a two-hour delay, it is possible that it may change to a closure.
What other factors are at work when inclement weather threatens?
The Dover Area School District school bus transportation system is a massive operation. Full-size buses, minibusses, and small vans transport approximately 3,600 students to various District and non-public schools. The most severe conditions within our school district are used as the basis for the decision-making criteria.
As always, please use your best judgment of local conditions if you feel it is unsafe to send your child to school. Student drivers are encouraged to use school buses if road conditions are not ideal or if severe weather is a possibility.
For Parents/Guardians Only
Dover Area School District now lets parents control how they want to be notified about school news, emergency alerts (including school closures and delays due to severe weather), attendance, and low meal balance through Skyward.
Get notified in 3 easy steps!
1. Log into your Skyward Family Access account via a web browser and click the Skylert link on the left side menu.
*If you don't know your Skyward login, contact your school office.
2. Edit any of your information.
3. Choose the types of alerts you want to receive alerts by phone, email or text/SMS and click Save on the upper right side of the screen. Changes in the system will take effect the following day.
Need your Skyward login? Please contact your school.