NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
Dover Area High School Chapter
- All sophomores and juniors with a cumulative high school GPA of 95% or above are eligible and may apply for admission to the DOVER AREA HS CHAPTER OF THE NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY.
- Letters and passes indicating notice of eligibility will be distributed to those who meet the GPA requirement.
- Application forms will then be distributed at a meeting to those students who have received a pass in April. Eligible students will then have approximately two weeks to complete and return the application.
- Admission is not automatic. In addition to having the required GPA, applicants must demonstrate significant accomplishment and/or participation in the all areas indicated on the application form. It is necessary to have accomplishments in each area.
- All activities, accomplishments, etc. included in the application must have taken place during high school. Do not include anything that occurred before you were in high school. Doing so could jeopardize your chances for admission. All hours and activities will be checked for accuracy!
- Make sure your application is NEAT and LEGIBLE. Be specific with your duties and responsibilities!
- Recommendation/evaluation forms must be given to 3 teachers, who will return them.
- They must be from a classroom teacher, activity advisor or community member/employer.
- Any drug or alcohol violations are in breach of National Bylaws, DO NOT APPLY if you have had any alcohol or drug violations.
PLEASE NOTE: Honor Society is a service organization. Membership is a highly sought after honor, but it requires commitment to the ideals of the organization. Your acceptance of membership will indicate your willingness to participate in National Honor Society sponsored activities, service projects and meetings.To maintain membership in NHS, you must maintain your GPA, fulfill your service hour requirements, be a strong leader and example, show positive character, and abide by the National Honor Society bylaws. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in probation or dismissal from the National Honor Society. If your behavior in school requires disciplinary action, your membership may be suspended or revoked.
Your application will be evaluated on the following criteria. Please make sure you include all the information listed on the application. Failure to do so, will automatically disqualify you for acceptance into NHS.
Students will need to have a minimum GPA of 95% in order to be eligible to apply for NHS membership. You must maintain a 95% GPA or you will be placed on probation and/or have your membership revoked. You must have demonstrated ‘proficiency’ on all Keystone Exams you have taken. Special consideration is placed on maintaining a schedule rich in advanced level courses.
For consideration: students should have completed at least 10 hours of school/community service in high school prior to submitting your application for consideration (in addition to Graduation hours).
If admitted, you will be required to have total of 30 Service Hours each calendar year.
You will need a minimum of 20 hours of school service.
Examples of school service projects: tutoring, helping with school/team-led events, NHS service projects, etc.
You will need a minimum of 10 hours of community service.
Examples of community service projects: helping with food drive, volunteering at a food pantry, helping with church activities, 4-H sponsored activities, Boy Scouts projects, student lead projects not planned by teacher/advisor, etc.
Character is not based solely on personality nor upon minor incidents unless they are repeated so as to indicate specific pattern of behavior.
- Promptly meets individual pledges and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates the higheststandards of honesty, reliability, fairness and civility.
- Adheres to school rules and regulations (i.e., attendance, tardiness, truancy, academic honesty, conduct, etc.)
- Is a positive model of a Dover Area HS school citizen.
Successfully assumes responsibility and demonstrates constructive initiative in the classroom, at work, and in school or community activities. You must currently be or have been an officer for at least one year of an organization or demonstrate significant classroom leadership, which requires teacher verification.
2-3 weeks after submission, the Faculty Council will interview you. Be prepared to:
- Define what NHS means to you
- Why you would make a good candidate for membership
- Elaborate on your leadership/service opportunities