Welcome to the
Social Work Department
School social work services are specialized services that provide systematic interventions to remove barriers to student learning and success. Services may be either prevention or intervention approaches, and both district wide or student specific. The school social worker holds a primary focus in providing clinical counseling to students that supports progress in the educational setting. School social workers are licensed professionals that adhere to the code of ethics regarding confidentiality and the delivery of professional services.
These goals are accomplished by working with the following systems:
Working with Staff
The school social worker is responsible for the development and implementation of classroom or district-wide programming that supports students’ basic, social, emotional, and mental health needs.
School social workers are also instrumental in supporting classroom teachers through the provision of training, consultation, and offering coaching for strategies to utilize in the classroom.
Helping Students and Families
Social workers seek to facilitate connections between home and school environments to promote student success. Social workers regularly conduct individualized assessments with students and their families. These assessments focus on social history, developmental history, family dynamics, student behavior, and learning ability, and are used to advocate for students, as well as connect students and their families with available supports and resources.
Working with the Community
School social workers are responsible for the coordination of resources for parents, teachers, and students. The community has a tremendous amount of support to offer, and the school social worker creates bridges between the resources and those in need.
- Death and Grief: Supporting Children and Youth
- York County Human Services
- York County Truancy Prevention
- PA Birth Records
- Chip Health Insurance Program
- Community Progress Council - Housing Assistance, Financial Case Management, & Head Start
- ECYEH - Education for Children & Youth Experiencing Homelessness (Resources for homeless families)
- F.I.R.S.T./ PA 211 Community Resources Database
- Homeless Shelter Directory for York County
- Migrant Education and ESL Programs - LIU 12
- Rabbit Transit Shared Ride Program Information and Application
- York County Children, Youth & Family Services - Child abuse/neglect reporting information
- York County Drug & Alcohol Commission - Resources to seek treatment)
- York County MH/IDD - Mental Health Case Management Services
- New Hope Ministries
- Children's Aid Society Support Group
- Addiction Center: Teenage Substance Abuse Prevention
- Dover Area School District's Care Solace Page
- Dover Area School District's Counseling Resources Page
To Find Quick and Up to Date Resource Information on Family and Adolescent Issues
General Information Website for Families Needing Assistance with Bills, Food and Other Necessities
School Based Counseling Provider- PCBH
Crisis Intervention Information Sheet